Myers RV Center Albuquerque Blog
- 0 0Published on Dec 26, 2017
Carbon Monoxide is a silent killer. In a small space such as an RV the danger could escalate quickly. It’s critical to have the proper knowledge and preparation to avoid a potential fatal outcome for you and your family. Here are some things to keep in mind to help avoid CO poison in your RV.
Have a working Detector
This may seem obvious but many people have never tested their CO detector to see if it’s working properly. This is especially important if you have purchased a used RV. Because older detectors are very sensitive, they have been known to annoy people by going off when the dog passes gas near it (yes we are serious). Therefor they disable the detector. Another important task is to make sure the batteries are fresh so that if there are dangerous levels of CO you will be warned.
Close up any Gaps
If there are any openings to the outside elements it will be tough to keep the air temp controlled. Equally as important is making sure that you avoid issues with CO poisoning in places where exhaust can enter the RV. Check for any damage that has caused openings and get it serviced immediately.
By making sure your exhaust is working correctly you can limit the potential for any mishaps that lead to CO poisoning. If you aren’t knowledgeable on maintaining RV exhaust systems bring it in to our service department and we’ll take care of it for you.
Beware of the Snow
Snow can build up around your exhaust causing it to back up and send that CO back into the unit. If you are backing your RV into a site with snow make sure it’s clear. If you got heavy snow head out right away and clear the exhaust area.
Know what the Symptoms Are
If you are parked in your RV and feel these symptoms test your detector. If you’re driving make sure you pull over right away, test your detector and examine the RV.
You and your family are at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning every time you get into your RV. To keep everyone safe, consider the tips here for preventing carbon monoxide poisoning and staying safe while traveling the Open Road.